This engaging activity is and completely ready to ! Perfect for distance learning or sub plans during your genetics unit! Save some time today!
What is this product?
This product introduces students to chromosomes and karyotypes through a series of six engaging activities. The lesson is designed so that you as the teacher can pick and choose whether to include certain sections. One section does require student access to BrainPop, BUT that section can be easily removed or replaced (this is explained in the teacher directions on the first page of the document).
The six parts of the lesson are:
- A 5-minute video introduction to chromosomes + response activity
- A 5-minute video from BrainPop on chromosomes and genetics with links to topic quizzes
- A 3-paragraph article on using karyotyping to identify chromosomes based on physical characteristics with post-reading questions
- An interactive activity from Utah Genetics where students use karyotyping to match chromosome pairs
- A self-guided, student choice exploration activity for students to dive deeper into chromosomes; several video links are provided, as are directions for students to seek out their own online resources instead
- A mini-research project on chromosomal abnormalities; assign students a specific chromosome or give them total choice! Students select a chromosomal disorder or disease, research, and create a digital flyer to share with classmates
There is lots of teacher flexibility here to mix-and-match lesson parts to create a unique lesson that works for you and your students, or you can just post-and-go as-is for an instant lesson! If using all six activities, allow students 2-3 days to complete everything (possibly even 4, as the research & flyer may take 1-2 days). If using just the basic three parts as described in the teacher directions, students could complete in as little as one day. You could also offer students choice in which of the parts they want to complete beyond the basic three. There are tons of possibilities to make this lesson fit your needs!
This lesson works well in any genetics unit and slots in with my other genetics digital lessons:
- This Lesson
- Genes, Transcription, and Translation: A Digital Interactive Overview
- Mendel, Pea Plants, & Inheritance
- Intro to Traits
- Traits Inventory
- Phenotypes, Genotypes, & Alleles - Distance Learning Lesson for Genetics
- Practice with Dominant & Recessive Traits
- Practice with Homozygous & Heterozygous Genotypes
- Survival of the Fittest - A Genetics Adventure Practice Game
- Build-Your-Own-Pet - A Genetics Practice Activity
- Intro to Punnett Squares Audio-Narrated Slideshow with Notes
- Pedigrees & Addiction: A Reading & Inquiry Virtual Lab Activity - Google Drive
If you like this lesson, be sure to subscribe to my store - more of these genetics digital lessons are coming SOON!