This 6 page file includes 2 assignments.
The first (Meaning Behind the Title) is a creative activity that gets students thinking about the title of the novel in relation to the general human experience, and what the main character(s) experiences throughout the story. It involves students creating a verbal/visual graphic organizer and usually takes about one 75 minute period.
This serves as a great launch pad for part 2 which is a literary essay on the theme of metamorphosis or change in the novel.
I use this assignment as a way to introduce literary analysis essays to my grade 9s so the instructions are fairly thorough, however it would work well with a grade 10 or 11 class also.
The file includes:
- Meaning Behind the Title assignment sheet (no rubric - usually a level or a mark out of 10 for effort and completeness)
- Suggested answers for graphic organizer
- Literary Analysis Essay assignment sheet
- Literary Analysis Essay rubric
- Literary Analysis Essay checklist for student use or for teacher marking.