What is it about fractions and percents that brings out the “Nooo…” and “ugh” of students? This unit is meant as a review of working with fractions and percents in a real world setting. I find that every student at every level could always use more practice!
These Cinco de Mayo tasks can be done at any time throughout the year. However, they were designed around the theme of Cinco de Mayo and would best be used around the first week of May. You can choose to have the students work independently or in pairs. I have found that pairs and small groups of 3 work best with these activities. I have used them even with my IB juniors who can always use a review of these concepts regardless of the time of the year. You may choose to split up all four activities to do at different times of the year or do them all as one unit.
Included in this unit:
1. Lesson Overview with objectives and implementation suggestions for teachers including a brief explanation of what Cinco de Mayo is to explain to your students
2. Attention Grabber: 3 Truths and 1 Lie Activity
3. Task #1: Activating Prior Knowledge with Answer Key
4. Task #2: Chicken Enchiladas Suizas Recipe with Answer Key
5. Task #3: Calculating Total, Tax, and Tip with Answer Key using part of the breakfast menu from Cinco de Mayo Restaurant in Brooklyn, NY
6. Task #4: Crossword Puzzle where every answer begins with a letter from the word GUACAMOLE
A word on calculator use: most scientific and graphing calculators will make solving these problems a lot easier. I don’t allow my students to use them so that they really practice finding the LCD (least common denominators) and working with fractions. At the completion of the assignment I let them take out their scientific or graphing calculators to check their answers and see if they got them correct. We then discuss answers as a class.
Check out other great products:
Linear Equations and Line of Best Fit Housing Market Project
Earth Day Math for grades 6-12: Conversions, Graphs, and more!
M&M Probability Web Project for High School Students
Mother's Day Math: Solving Equations; Finding Surface Area and Volume
Parallelograms Properties Fairy Tale
Ratio, Proportions, Conversions and Unit Price Unit
Pythagorean Theorem for Middle and High School
Symmetry Project: Reflection, Rotation, & Translation
Teach Inverse, Converse, & Contrapositive Kinesthetically
Unit Circle Project
Circumference, Area, and Equations of Circles Worksheets
Mean, Median, Mode, Range Practice Worksheet