This is a Cinco de Mayo themed pack that includes:
-Comprehension practice based on an interactive read aloud using the mentor text, Cinco de Mouse-O! by Judy Cox. Worksheets containing corresponding comprehension questions including multiple choice and short response are included. Students are encouraged to answer like a scholar, in complete sentences. Questions support skills such as identifying "right there questions," inferring, theme/main idea, and story elements.
- A Non-fiction text regarding the history of Cinco de Mayo and other interesting facts with corresponding comprehension questions in which students exercise similar reading skills. These also include multiple choice and short response. Students are also given the opportunity to reflect upon their schema and respond through illustration.
-A visual aid poster for explanatory writing.
-An explanatory writing prompt supported by the non-fiction text. Student will use the text to collect text evidence for their writing on the history of Cinco de Mayo. A Circle Map planning page, outline, rough draft and final draft paper are included.
- An elementary friendly peer editing checklist.
- A banner to display students' writing on a bulletin board. Banner reads; "Happy Cinco de Mayo!" Print, laminate, cut, and string!
- A poster containing the standard practiced in completion of the Cinco de Mayo explanatory/informative writing prompt. Display this on your bulletin board !
Use students' writing to display on a bulletin board in honor of Cinco de Mayo!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
1.RL.1 Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
1.RL.3 Describe characters, setting, and major events in a story, using key details.
1.RIT.1 Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
1.W.2 Write informative/explanatory texts in which they name a topic, supply some facts about the topic, and provide some sense of closure.
-Cinco de Mayo Clip Art (Whimsy Clips)
- Cursive Font! (Heidi Trudel)
-KGSecond Chances Font (Chalkboard)
-Erica 1 D'Nealian Font