Cinco de Mayo Readings and activities for Spanish Class El Cinco de Mayo
What educators are saying
Ready to teach the REAL history of Cinco de Mayo to your students? These Cinco de Mayo lesson plans for Spanish classes combine authentic resources with Spanish language texts written for language learners, providing you with everything that you need to tackle this misunderstood holiday with your Spanish students.
OR: GET THE DISTANCE LEARNING VERSION HERE!
This 80-page/slide, Spanish-language cultural unit is designed for Spanish 1 students and beyond to learn about the history and traditions of Cinco de Mayo in Mexico and the US. There are enough activities for 4-5 class days.
- Pre-reading discussion questions
- A Level 1+ reading in Spanish about the history of Cinco de Mayo (Need something even more simple? Check out this text.)
- A Level 2+ reading in Spanish about the history of Cinco de Mayo
- Comprehension questions for each reading
- A coloring glyph with questions in Spanish to be used after reading
- Two video viewing activity descriptions with viewing guides
- An infographic interpretation activities with Q&A form and discussion questions
- A reading in Spanish about four common elements of Cinco de Mayo celebrations and activity suggestions for each element
- A post-reading review game (with questions in Spanish)
- Projectable song lyrics
- Projectable versions of the readings and game questions (Google Slides)
- Detailed lesson plans
- Answer keys
- Suggestions for additional activities, including an in-class Cinco de Mayo celebration
This product is a PDF download that contains a clickable link to all resources.
WANT MORE CINCO DE MAYO?
- Here is a SIMPLIFIED TEXT and glyph in Spanish for emergent readers
- Try out our FREE JIGSAW PUZZLE that presents facts about Cinco de Mayo
- Use our Cinco de Mayo materials that are OPTIMIZED FOR REMOTE LEARNING
- Play EL QUE SABE, SABE to explore the facts and figures of the celebration