Explore the true meaning of Cinco de Mayo with your students.
Every Spanish class, regardless of the level, should have a cultural lesson that commemorates "Cinco de Mayo". This Mexican holiday is a fun and relevant topic for students as they learn Spanish.
The materials that I have created for my classes are cultural, cross-curricular, and they support vocabulary development and reading comprehension in the target language. This download includes:
1. Two word searches that can be used as bell ringers, warm-ups, hooks, brain breaks, differentiation tools, or as a rewards for students who finish their classwork early,
2. A concise, page-length history of "Cinco de Mayo" (in Spanish)
3. Reading Comprehension Quiz / discussion questions worksheet,
4. A decorative cover page that can be placed on your bulletin board to generate interest and awareness prior to the lesson,
5. A two-sided note-taking handout for students with space for student reflection (K-W-L),
6. A time-saving list of online resources for the teacher that includes a link to the ACTFL webpage where you can find the National Standards of Learning for Foreign Languages,
7. Full-page images of Benito Juarez, Queen Victoria of England, King Alfonso XII of Spain, Napoleon III of France, and Abraham Lincoln that can be used as decoration or as visual aids during group presentations,
8. A list of Cinco de Mayo fast facts for the teacher (in English),
9. A black line copy of the Mexican flag that students can color,
10. A black line handout that features maracas that students can color and decorate to commemorate Cinco de Mayo, and
11. Instructions for a group activity where students receive jumbled fast facts and are tasked with putting the facts into chronological order.
This lesson not only supports reading comprehension and vocabulary development, it also has components that can be used for collaborative activities or formative assessments.
These materials can be used year-after-year and will make great additions to your current Cinco de Mayo lesson and your sub plans for the Spring.