One sheet of 8.5” x 11” paper makes one GrandStand.
Print GrandStands on index- or cover stock-weight paper in color or black/white.
THINGS TO DO:
Note that GrandStands can be used on a table or desktop, or they can be glued, stapled, or push-pinned onto a bulletin board.
1. Use this GrandStand with students who are learning the letters of the alphabet. Use the stand to feature one word or a stack of word flashcards that begin with the consonant or vowel featured on the stand.
2. Note that consonant displays are green and vowel displays are yellow. Use all 26 cases when learning about the alphabet. Omit the yellow vowel displays to focus on initial consonants only. Use the yellow displays when focusing on vowels.
3. Use for introducing or reinforcing the formation of letters using circle and line formation. Display quarter- or half-sheets examples of student letter formation and/or writing of words beginning with the letter.
4. Use the stand to feature one word or a stack of word flashcards that begin with the consonant or vowel featured on the stand. Flashcards might include: sight words, CVC words, plurals of CVC words. Later the stands can be used for final consonants, too.
5. In letter-based stations or work areas, use these GrandStands to display teacher-written notes, instructions, or questions. Write on half-sheets of paper 8.5”x 11” paper.
6. Share selected student writing or drawings for all to see. Have students write or draw on half-sheets of 8.5” x 11” paper so they will fit on the letter GrandStands.
7. Matching Activities Match the following two cards on each GrandStand:
upper case and lowercase letter cards: A and a
initial consonant picture and letter: picture of a cat and letter Cc flashcards
initial consonant CVC word and picture flashcards
initial consonant CVC word and its plural
article or pronoun flashcards before a word card (a cab, the car, her cat)
8. GrandStands are teaching aids that can be used to display many different forms of print including Internet print, quotes, current events, rhymes, riddles, and fun facts.
9. The size of the GrandStand is perfect for displaying quarter-sheets, half-sheets, and folded sheets of 8.5” x 11” paper. Worksheets can be folded in half and placed on a GrandStand.
10. Letter MiniBooks and Side-by-Side Books can be featured on GrandStands, too.
When made using index-weight paper, GrandStands last for several years.
Store vertically in a Box Book in your LOCOmotion Box Library (made from cereal boxes).
Store vertically in plastic or cardboard magazine holders.
Store multiple sets of Grandstands vertically in a copy paper box.
ASSEMBLY VIDEO & MORE INFORMATION: