This engaging and informative lesson helps students to identify and analyse the descriptive devices used by Darren Shan throughout the description of the freak show in ‘Cirque Du Freak.’ In addition to interpreting and discussing the similes, metaphors, varied vocabulary, and alliteration used by the writer, students imaginatively use these devices themselves to create their own act for the Cirque Du Freak!
The lesson follows a step-by-step learning journey, in which children learn through:
- Defining each of the different types of descriptive devices, through completing an interactive group activity;
- Reading extracts from chapters 10-13, and identifying the language techniques used by Darren Shan to describe the freak show acts;
- Analysing the effectiveness of each of Darren Shan's descriptive devices;
- Creating their own act for the Cirque Du Freak, utilising appropriate and effective descriptive devices throughout;
- Peer assessing each other's learning attempts;
- Whole lesson PowerPoint - colourful and comprehensive;
- Cards for the Card Sorting Activity;'
- Extracts from 'Cirque Du Freak' - Chapters 10 to 13 - the freak show;
- Analysing Language Devices worksheet;
- Character Profiles Template (in Word and PDF);
- Your Own Act Template (in Word and PDF).
There are also opportunities for group learning, speaking and listening, peer assessment, and whole class discussion.
All images are licensed for commercial use, and image rights are listed on the last page of the presentation.