This mini unit helps students understand the definition of citizenship in the United States and the process immigrants must go through to become U.S. citizens. Students will learn about what determines whether a person is a U.S. citizen. As a result of this unit students will be able to do the following:
• Understand that a citizen is an individual with certain rights and duties under a government and who, by birth or by choice, owes allegiance to that government.
• Analyze and describe the sources of citizenship and the naturalization process.
• Analyze citizenship scenarios and include facts into their explanations.
• Work in collaborative groups.
• Take notes during lecture.
• Participate in an active discussion.
• Write a blog/e-mail explaining citizenship and the naturalization process.
• Create an advertisement for U.S. Citizenship.
This U.S. Citizenship Bundle Includes:
• Essential Facts (Everything students need to know about
citizenship, influential documents, and the foundations of
American government for the following standardized tests:
o Virginia SOL’s (Standards of Learning Test
o Florida’s EOC Assessment (End of Course Exam)
o Texas STAAR Exam
• 8 Worksheets/ activities
• PowerPoint (33 slides)
• Citizenship Videos (4 videos about citizenship)
• Motivational Videos (2 motivational videos your students
• Advertisement Project (Performance Assessment)
• Graphic Organizer (notes)
• Reading Packet with questions
• Formative (Exit tickets, warm ups, discussion questions)
• Summative Assessments (Mini-Unit Quiz)
• History Channel.com Citizenship Game
• Authentic Naturalization Test
Several states require students to pass a Civics/Government social studies test to graduate from high school which include: Alabama, Maryland, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia.
Copyright © The Scholarly Compass 2016
Please be advised that this product is for personal classroom use by a single teacher. If you would like to copy this product for more than one teacher, please download additional licenses, available at 50% off the original price!
You May not:
• Give this item to others.
• Copy this item for use by others.
• Post this item unprotected on a website, including a personal website, classroom website, or district website.
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.
Fonts: Kevin and Amanda Free Scrapbook Fonts
Border: Erin Sees
Isabelula's Store (Clip Art and Border)
Clip Art: My Cute Graphics (Free Clip Art)