Also included in
- Let's dig in to some real world learning that supports the Science of Reading! Let's teach reading comprehension and writing skills while building knowledge about many different science topics with this SciencELA bundle designed for 4th and 5th grade students.What will I love?120 original complex grPrice $49.95Original Price $60.00Save $10.05
Let's teach reading comprehension and writing skills while building knowledge about how plants, animals, and the water cycle can be different in the city with this SciencELA unit designed for 4th and 5th grade students.
- 12 original complex grade-level texts
- Eye-catching design
- Optional Google Slides provided with editable pages for recording information
- Quality use of direct instruction and modeling
- Examples and Daily Guide provided
- Useful in-class or through synchronous virtual instruction
This resource includes the following topics for 4th and 5th grade:
1. Plants in the City
- Plant needs
- Benefits of trees
- Vertical gardens
- Community gardens
2. Animals in the City
- Inherited traits and learned behaviors
- The relationship between coyotes and red foxes in the city and in rural areas
- Comparing rural and urban raccoons
3. The Urban Water Cycle
- Traditional water cycle vs. urban water cycle
- How water moves from aquifer to faucet
- Wastewater collection and treatment
- Storm water
- You need a way to project text for students in class or to share your screen for virtual students.
- You can record your Evidence in the editable Google Slides provided, on the printed page, or on a piece of chart paper.
This resource lasts for 3 weeks. Each week has a focus topic within the larger unit theme. Plan to take about 15 minutes a day, although this will depend on your teaching style.
Direct instruction and modeling will help students access complex grade-level text, interpret text features, learn domain-specific vocabulary, and write an explanatory text.
Day 1: Read and discuss the week's claim. Read and discuss an introductory text as a class.
Day 2: Read and discuss Text #2 and complete a table with evidence to support the claim.
Day 3: Read and discuss Text #3 and complete a table with evidence to support the claim.
Day 4: Read and discuss Text #4 and complete a table with evidence to support the claim.
Day 5: Use the Evidence Table and color-coded linguistic frames to write a text that supports the claim.
- Students will read and comprehend grade-level informational science text, with scaffolding as needed.
- Students will use informational text features and grade-level text to build understanding of a topic.
- Students will integrate information from 4 texts on the same topic in order to write about the subject knowledgeably.
- Students will use domain-specific vocabulary to write an explanatory text, use evidence to support a claim, and develop a concluding statement.
- Students will have a rich understanding of science, increasing their ability to comprehend new texts.
This video will walk you through how to use a SciencELA lesson.
1. This resource is only included in the SciencELA bundle. It is not included in any other bundles.
2. This resource is not editable. Google Slides with editable Evidence Tables and Writing Pages are included.