Ensure your Civics or US History students are citizen-ready before they leave your classroom by passing the Naturalization (Citizenship) Test, and also researching and publishing an Op-Ed Essay on if passage should be a high school graduation requirement.
Nearly half of Americans can’t define the Bill of Rights. Three-fourths don’t know why we fought in the Cold War. And 6% don’t even know when Independence Day is. Yikes!
One semester to teach Civics is never enough, right?! But feel confident your students don't leave your classroom without these basic facts.
You choose which Test Series:
60-Question Civics Only Questions
100-Question Civics, Culture, & US History Complete Test
knowing the basic facts of our nation and exercising one’s basic citizen responsibility to engage in the public political discourse on a debated issue.
After taking the Pre-Test, guide students to reflect and develop study plans to learn and prepare for two Quizzes planned throughout the course and the Final Test at the end.
Woven in with their studying, students also develop their position through scaffolded research and writing to produce a publish-ready Op-Ed essay.
Included in this complete unit:
- Teacher Unit at a Glance & Lesson Plans for each stage of the semester-long project
- Student Test Reflection & Growth Log, Study Plan research activity, and Initial Positions activity and log sheet
- Award Certificates to hand out at the end of the semester! (color and b&w)
- For both Test Series: Pre-Test / Quiz 1 / Quiz 2 / Final Test, all with Answer Keys
Op-Ed Research & Writing
- Research Notes, Source Analysis graphic organizers sheets for quality researching
- Op-Ed Essay Step-by-Step writing guide, detailed Overview directions, annotated Sample Essay, 2 different Outline forms, Reflection sheet, and detailed Rubrics (Common Core-aligned and generic)
- BONUS skill building mini-lessons sheets: Annotating a Text, Annotating a Citation, News Media Source Analysis, Finding Sources, Google vs. Proquest
- Links to online study resources, background articles, and op-eds discussing this debate
- Links to Op-Ed essay tutorials and sample essays written by youth
- Direction slides to facilitate student debate
Want just the 4-part test series?
U.S. Citizenship 4-Part Test Bundle
includes both versions of the test series, plus Reflection, Study Plan, and award sheets
Want just the Op-Ed Essay project?
Op-Ed Research & Essay Project
includes all the same tools, plus some additional ones to teach the Op-Ed essay in any scenario!
Want more American Government / Civics units?
American Government / Civics MEGA Bundle
save big on this and all my other government products
Political Service Project
semester-long project to make community members out of your students
Voting & Mock Election Unit
explore all variety of voting issues, including the current election
3 Branches Unit
see how the federal government works in theory and practice
Constitutional Issues Research Paper Project
highly-scaffolded, college-ready research paper