Great back to school unit and activities! This Civil Rights unit features 10 Heroes of Black History close reading passages with comprehension questions including text-based evidence and open-ended questions. There are so many uses for this product! While these passages can be used anytime throughout the year, I also love to use them with my class during our studies of Black History and Famous Americans. It is also a great tool to use during a Civil Rights unit as well as a unit on biographies.
The Powerpoint features the 10 full-page passages that you can display on your interactive whiteboard for a whole group reading. You can also print out the full-page passages and laminate them to use in small groups. The 10 half-sheet passages with questions are great for students to use to annotate text during a close reading, and to search the text for answers. These are also wonderful passages for students to use to practice our “RAP” strategy, which means Restate the question, Answer it, and Prove it with text evidence. This is an important skills for students to develop for future assignments that require constructed responses. My students love using color to underline the answers to the questions. Color makes everything more fun!
There are several different activities included that students can use with the passages. Students can choose one hero to use to complete the “My Amazing Hero” sheet. Students can also select two different heroes to compare and contrast, or choose one to compare their own lives to. There are also two different timelines that students can use to chart the life of a hero of their choice. Also included are four different versions of “My Hero in Numbers,” which are fun foldables for students to use to show what they have learned about their hero. There is also a word search included as well as writing paper templates to write about a favorite Black History hero.
For paperless classrooms, these passages and activities can easily be used in a digital setting. Share the PDFs with your students in Google Classroom, Dropbox, SeeSaw, ClassKick, AirDrop, and more. Create a quick Google form for students to submit answers to you.
Included in this unit, you will find the following items:
- 10 close reading passages (1 hero per passage) featuring actual photographs
- Powerpoint featuring the full-page passages for whole group reading
- Find and color the evidence activity printables for each hero
- 4 different foldable versions of "My Hero in Numbers" to create mini-biographies or for use in Interactive Notebooks
- “My Amazing Hero” biography graphic organizer to use during note taking or as a report
- 2 different timeline templates - one with six events and one with eight
- 2 different Venn Diagrams - Compare and contrast 2 different heroes and compare and contrast “My Hero and Me”
- Heroes of Black History word search and answer key
- 3 different formats - Writing paper templates for reports or summaries
Thank you so much for visiting my store! Be sure to follow me for freebies and more! by clicking on the green star. Please contact me with any questions. Happy teaching!