PRINTABLE & DIGITAL Google Classroom! ELA Integrated with Social Studies! Black History Month Reading Passages - Civil Rights Movement Stories / Martin Luther King Jr. Unit that integrates the ELA literacy skills of Summarizing, Finding Main Idea and Details. 7 Reading Passages that are engaging for upper elementary and middle school. This unit provides the teacher with lesson plans, passages, and very rigorous tasks that are focused on content while using the ELA skills of summarizing and finding main idea and details.
Please Note: This unit includes the 7 Civil Rights passages sold separately in our store. Do not purchase the separate passages if you are buying this unit.
Check out our Holiday Units for February
Check Out Our Valentine's Day and Presidents Day Math Doodle Products:
Check out our other ELA Units:
Purpose of Unit
MLK and the Civil Rights Movement is a time in history that my students found fascinating and this unit was always a favorite for them and for me. Because the students are highly engaged with the content, I found it a good time to integrate the difficult reading skill of summarizing and finding main ideas/details into it. To master these literacy skills takes multiple experiences and so the high interest in the subject encourages the students to do the work. This unit is a win-win situation for both the student and the teacher.
This unit will easily last over 2 weeks and the work has all been done for the teacher.
I have taught this unit with both 4th and 5th graders but the rigor of it could easily fit 6th and 7th graders also. Differentiating can easily be done with the teacher reading the passages to the students who struggle with reading or allowing students to work on the passages independently and with partners.
There are 6 different lessons that include:
• Enduring understandings
• Essential questions
• Tasks that can be used for formative assessments
• Summative task as the last lesson
• YouTube links to use as a motivation hook for each lesson.
Martin Luther King Jr. - 4th - 6th Grade Literacy Based Unit that includes the following literacy skills:
- Annotation / coding/ stopping and jotting with 5Ws
- Finding Main Idea details
- Informative Writing
8 Civil Rights Lessons with literacy Integration:
- Lesson 1 (Background to Cause of Civil Rights Movement ) – KWL and Annotation
- Lesson 2 – (Young people who led with the Civil Rights Movement - Ruby Bridges / Barbara Johns / Little Rock Nine ) – Main Idea/Details Graphic Organizer
- Lesson 3 – ( Bus boycott / Rosa Parks ) – Summarizing using sticky notes
- Lesson 4 – ( Greensboro Sit-ins ) – Cornell Note Taking
- Lesson 5 – ( March on Washington / I Have a Dream Speech ) – Informative writing
- Lesson 6 – ( Children March of Birmingham ) – GIST template.
- Lesson 7 – (MLK’s death) – Art integration
- Lesson 8 – ( Timeline ) – Timeline with art integration