Also included in
- This bundle of inquiry-based Civil Rights Movement related activities and projects is filled with interactive notebook organizers, a gallery walk, inquiry activities, and projects. Meet Rosa Parks, Maya Angelou, Thurgood Marshall and more through your students' discovery of them and the important e$19.99$24.99Save $5.00
- This three-in-one mini bundle on the Civil Rights Movement blends an introductory collaborative newspaper activity with bell-ringers and a role play project. Meet Rosa Parks, Maya Angelou, Thurgood Marshall and more through your students' discovery of them. In this 3-in-1 bundle, you get:- Civil R$7.99$8.99Save $1.00
- Be ready to teach 20th Century US History with this growing bundle of interactive notebook foldables, gallery walks, inquiry activities, station activities, projects, digital activities and more. Students will be investigative reporters when they create World War I newspapers, meet the captains of$157.82$225.46Save $67.64
In this inquiry-based project, students become figures from the Civil Rights Movement. Students research their figure and then embody that person at a culminating party. This project puts students literally in the lives of historical figures. Meet Rosa Parks, Maya Angelou, Thurgood Marshall and more through your students' discovery of them.
A great addition to your Civil Rights Movement study.
This detailed teacher’s guide includes:
● How to use this resource and complete timeline within the teacher’s guide
● Suggested figures of 30+ individuals with annotated bibliography for figures from the U.S. Civil Rights Movement
● Student handouts including: research template, historical context template, costume research guide, and guide for preparing for the party.
● Writing References style guide
● Complete list of journal entry prompts
● A complete materials list
NOTE: This product was updated 01/04/18.
Skills Developed in this lesson:
- Students will practice interpersonal communication
- Students will research a topic using multiple sources
- Students will analyze nonfiction text. (CCSS ELA.LITERACY R1)
- Students will identify nonfiction text as secondary or primary sources. (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RH.6-8.1, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RH.9-10.1, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RH.11-12.1)
- Students will write short narratives as a historical character. (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.9-10.3)
- Students will analyze how a historical figure’s setting and personal history shaped the person they became.
- Students will embody a historical figure.
Civil Right Resources Include:
- Black History Month - African-American Figures Research project
- Civil Rights Interactive Notebook Pages (just added; not yet available elsewhere in the store.)
Also available as part of the money saving growing 20th century US history teacher resource bundle
This purchase is for one teacher only. This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at email@example.com. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.
Did you know you can earn TPT credits easily?
- Go to your My Purchases page when you login
- Click on the provide feedback button. Quickly rate the product and leave a quick note.
- Each time you give feedback, you earn TPT credit to spend on future purchases.
Benefits of following the store
- Save $$$ - Follow the store and receive updates on new product launches. New products are 20% off in the first 48 hours. To follow simply click on the follow me star at the store. New product launches typically occur once a week.
- Follow the Facebook page to find out about weekly deals, sales, flash freebies and giveaways.
- Read musings, tips, resources and ideas about teaching, education and education policy on the blog. Don’t miss out on Social Sundays (tips, resources and ideas for teaching Social Studies) and Math Mondays (tips, resources and ideas for teaching Math)
- No more than 1 email from me directly to my followers per month.
To follow the store and save $$$, click on the follow me star above.