This Google product that contains the fourth lesson of the Civil Rights Movement.
- Analyze the election of 1960.
- Evaluate Kennedy's domestic policies.
- Assess the impact of Kennedy's assassination.
Lesson includes the following:
1. Reading comprehension questions on a form.
- 7 questions
- Includes text from the book
2. Short answer questions on a doc.
- 5 questions
- Students will analyze sequence, summarize, draw conclusions, analyze style and rhetoric, and analyze interactions among events.
3. Interactive Gallery: Election of 1960
- The product is a Google form linked to an interactive gallery on the presidential election of 1960 between Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy.
- Students will complete the 5 reading comprehension questions and 9 descriptions to the candidate on the grid in the form.
- Students will compare and contrast, identify cause and effect, draw inferences, distinguish, and analyze data on the doc.
- Students will learn about:
- background of each candidate
- characteristics of John F. Kennedy
- voter concern for John F. Kennedy's religious beliefs
- impact of the first presidential debate on television
- support for civil rights leaders
- election results
4. Interactive Timeline: Key Events in the American Space Program (1958 to Present)
- This product is a Google Form linked to an interactive timeline on the key events in the American space program.
- The interactive timeline begins with the creation of the NASA program in 1958 to the present.
- Students can answer the 22 questions on the form while exploring the interactive timeline and major events in the American Space Program.
- Students can answer the two short answer questions on the doc.
- Students will learn about:
- 1958: NASA
- 1961: Alan Shepard
- Video of the flight (2 min:44 sec)
- 1962: John Glenn
- News video of the flight (5 min: 37 sec)
- 1967: Capsule Fire
- 1969: Apollo 11
- Video of Neil Armstrong's first steps on the moon (1 min: 44 sec)
- 1976: Viking I
- News report of the launches (2 min: 50 sec)
- 1986: Space Challenger
- Video of launch and explosion (2 min: 23 sec)
- 1990: Hubble Space Telescope
- 5 pictures from the telescope
- 1997: Pathfinder
- Mars Pathfinder and Sojourner Rover 360 degree view.
- Students navigate the view of the images on Mars.
- 1998: International Space Station
- A live stream from the ISS from NASA
- Sometimes the screen is black because the ISS on the night side of the Earth or they are switching cameras.
- 2000: First crew on the ISS
- A tour of the ISS (8 min: 40 sec)
- How to make a peanut butter and jelly on the ISS (2 min: 08 sec)
This product is editable and the answer options have been shuffled.
This is lesson number 4 out of 5 US: Civil Rights and Reform in the 1960's lessons.
1. The Civil Rights Movement Strengthens
2. The Movement Surges Forward
3. Successes and Setbacks
4. Kennedy's Reforms
5. Reform Under Johnson
Thank you for looking!