This is a large unit about the history of the civil rights movement that was incorporatated in a "History through Film" course. This unit includes the following
1. The Color Purple: Questions for understanding (during the movie)
2. The Color Purple : Movie Viewing Guide (reflecting on a quote from the movie with examples from the movie)
3. Two Reconstruction Era Activities: Reviews background of the era, timeline and vocabulary.
4. Civil Rights Era Summary: Fill in the Blank- Word bank provided. This four page summary reviews the basics of the movement.
5. Civil Rights Timeline Activity. Students must match up pictures, dates, summaries and fill in one piece of missing information.
6. The Help: Movie questions and reflection of Jim Crow laws
7. Primary Source: Articles about leader Medgar Evers by date in the news
8. Ghosts of Mississippi: Movie quiz