Want a great way to incorporate some art history into your social studies units? Here is a great collection of resources to help give your class the cross-curricular opportunities it needs.
Included in this ZIP file are:
1. Reference images of sketches made during the Civil War
2. A five-page packet on "Art during the Civil War"--includes a web resource for technology integration and interactivity; a detailed table of the elements and principles of art; three question prompts that ask students to consider the compositions of Civil War sketches; 11 short essay prompts that go with corresponding informational texts (with hyperlinks included)
3. Weblinks and PDF articles on art during the Civil War; three separate articles
4. Rubrics for written responses.
*UPDATED 12/15/14 to include a rubric for written response prompts.
5. Project guidelines, prompting students to create an abstract composition inspired by the Civil War and Civil War art; three writing prompts for students to explain their works; rubric for the project
*UPDATED 1/14/15 to include these guidelines, writing prompts, and rubric
This should be used with upper middle school students and high school levels.
Check my store for additional smART resources.