Civil War - Gettysburg Address - Socratic Seminar with Rubric - A 16 page package related to the Civil War and the "Gettysburg Address" Speech by Abraham Lincoln. This package contains all of the necessary documents to facilitate a Socratic Seminar related to the "Gettysburg Address" Speech by Abraham Lincoln.
This is a fantastic activity and lesson to assist students in fostering deep, meaningful and engaging learning related to the Civil War. Students will read a common text (the "Gettysburg Address" Speech by Abraham Lincoln) and the Socratic Seminar will assist students in understanding and analyzing the text. The lesson centers on cooperation, source analysis and meaningful discussion within a group.
This Civil War and Abraham Lincoln package includes six documents that will assist the teacher in running a successful, engaging and thoughtful Socratic Seminar. the package includes:
- 8 page Teacher Overview that explains, in detail, the step by step instructions of facilitating a successful Socratic Seminar. The overview includes my own personal notes from my experiences within my classroom.
- 4 page Student Handout with instructions for the Seminar and strategies for students to use when preparing.
- 1 page Common Text of the "Gettysburg Address" Speech by Abraham Lincoln
- Rules of a Socratic Seminar 8X10 Poster for use when facilitating the Socratic Seminar
- Form for students to complete about the process of a Socratic seminar
- Rubric for student assessment
The included documents explain how to run a Socratic Seminar and how to set it up within your classroom for your students.
I have used this lesson several times in my classes and it fosters student discussion without the argumentation of a debate. It allows every student to speak and be heard in a respectful, cooperative manner which allows students to develop deep understandings of the topic. Students love the opportunity it allows them to offer their insights as well as hearing from the rest of the class!
A great tool for use when learning about the Civil War and the "Gettysburg Address" Speech by Abraham Lincoln. Best used when the students have already learned about the major events of the Civil War and the basic history of Abraham Lincoln! It will make a great addition to your Civil War unit of study or your examination of Abraham Lincoln in your classroom.