In this interactive, digital scavenger hunt, students are able to choose from 60 missions with different difficulty levels and point values all related to different events of the American Civil War. In a classroom with many different learning styles and needs, GooseChase is one of the most exciting, engaging ways to differentiate for all students.
Students explore a variety of topics including:
- War Erupts - Ft. Sumter, First Battle of Bull Run, and the strengths, weaknesses, and strategies of each side going into the war.
- War Wages On - Life of a soldier, Civil War technology, prison camps, medical care, and the Battles of Shiloh, New Orleans and Antietam
- Tide of War Turns - Emancipation Proclamation, African American soldiers, draft and draft riots, and women in the war
- Coming to an End - Battle of Gettysburg, Siege of Vicksburg, Sherman's total war in Georgia, and surrender at Appomattox
During the scavenger hunt, they listen to Civil War songs and analyze the meaning, re-create the Star Spangled Banner as if it was written at Ft. Sumter, defend decisions made by generals during specific battles, write from the perspective of a draft wheel, as well as many other engaging activities to apply what they have learned.
Included with this product:
* Detailed instructions for how to sign up for a free teacher account on GooseChase, create a game, and run the game with your students.
* 60 missions that you can choose from when creating your game.
* A list of websites students can use as resources as they learn about the Civil War. The list of missions and websites are on a Google Doc that can be edited, shared with students directly, or put onto Google Classroom.
* Clear student directions for signing into and participating in the game.
GooseChase is one of the my students' favorite activities. I have used it in the classroom to review material as well as a way for students to learn new information. We have also used GooseChase during class field trips. My principal has even used GooseChase for staff development. I cannot recommend any program more than GooseChase; it is definitely a staff and student favorite!
However, although this scavenger hunt has been designed for GooseChase, it could be very easily used without using the program. You could choose to have the students submit the assignments directly to you, instead of through the application.
Other Civil War products:
Civil War Hyperdoc: North vs. South Strengths and Weaknesses Webquest
Hyperdoc: Life of a Civil War Soldier Webquest
Revolutionary War GooseChase - Causes of the American Revolution Scavenger Hunt
GooseChase Silk Road Scavenger Hunt