The Civil War is a huge unit! These differentiated reading passages & activities will review Causes of the War, Key Leaders of the Civil War, Major Events, and Reconstruction.
Includes Differentiated Passages for:
✸Causes of the Civil War (Differences Between the North and the South)
✸Important Events of the Civil War (General overview)
✸Leaders of the Civil War
✸Robert E. Lee
✸Ulysses S. Grant
✸William Tecumseh Sherman
✸Harriet Beecher Stowe
✸John Brown & The Raid on Harper's Ferry
Going deeper into nonfiction texts is essential to student mastery of common core standards. Want ways to integrate social studies and science content into your nonfiction instruction, while differentiating for the needs of all learners? Look no further than these Stonewall Jackson differentiated reading passages and comprehension questions. If your classroom is like mine, there are readers all over the spectrum, yet it is vital that all students understand these important concepts. I've created the passage on three different reading levels to make differentiation much easier. I've leveled each passage with a symbol for high (square), mid (triangle), and low (circle) so that you can differentiate easily without students knowing. There are also open-ended questions to go along with the passages. Answer keys are provided. Perfect for guided reading small group instruction or literacy center stations.
$Why should I purchase this passage set?$
• Textbooks aren't what they used to be...if we have them at all. Often textbooks are written well above grade level and simply aren't interested. I use my love of history to make passages engaging and informative for all levels of readers!
• Teach across the curriculum! Show your administration how you integrate and differentiate by implementing during guided reading groups, center time, or in a regular social studies block
• Perfect for last minute print & go sub plans, morning work, & homework
• In my own classroom, they are often used at the end of a unit for review, as study guides, and even test prep
• Have students with accommodations? Instantly assess them at THEIR LEVEL while meeting IEP goals!
How Does This Resource Make Me A Better Teacher?
• Your time is precious & the standards are plentiful
By integrating across content whenever possible, you save time and your students see connections across the curriculum!
• Differentiated Instruction is no longer optional-it is a must!
There is no one-size-fits-all classroom. These passages are an easy way to check that off of your never-ending teacher to-do list!
• Reach your entire class with the same quality content.
Each student in your class deserves a fair chance at the content. Let their passion for science and social studies thrive, regardless of their reading ability. While passages appear very similar, I can assure you hours of researching and writing have occurred on my behalf to ensure that each level is appropriate for your learners.
Looking to extend this lesson? Try these complementing interactive sorts!
✸People of the Civil War SORTING ACTIVITY
✸Major Events of the Civil War SORTING ACTIVITY
✸Reconstruction Post-Civil War SORTING ACTIVITY
✸Looking for a NO-PREP way to have your students engaged for the entire week? Try these--->Civil War Reading Fluency & Comprehension Task Cards
Geared toward Georgia Fifth Grade Social Studies Standards but not specific.
Civil War: Differences Between The States
Civil War Causes & Events Vocabulary Sorting Activity
Check out my other 5th grade products!
Reconstruction Post-Civil War
Civil War Differentiated Reading Passages
Causes of the Civil War Interactive Vocabulary Sort
Don't Miss My Newest Products!
Have a question? Click here to send me an email!
Let's stay in touch!
→Check out our website for teaching tips, ideas, & freebies!
→Subscribe to videos on Youtube
→Follow us on Instagram
→Follow us on Facebook
Thanks for your support & Happy Teaching!-Bowtie Guy & Wife
© 2016 Bowtie Guy This purchase is for you and your classroom. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. Please have other teachers purchase their own copy. If you are a school or district interested in purchasing several licenses, please contact me for a district-wide quote.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.