This is my Civil War literature unit that I teach with my Juniors in high school.
Typical sequence goes:
1) Introduction to the Civil War- We usually do a historical fact sheet with accompanying questions.
2) Slave Spirituals- We usually listen to "Go Down, Moses," "Follow the Drinking Gourd," and "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot." We answer the accompanying questions.
3) 12 Years A Slave- We watch this movie so my students can understand the horrors of slavery. They should connect the songs in the movie to the rhythm of the slave spirituals we listened to perviously. We write a very brief essay to address one of the prompts on the accompanying questions.
4) Poetry- We usually read the set of three poems (Timrod, Ware, and Whitman) and answer the accompanying questions.
5) Gettysburg Address- We listen to the Gettysburg Address and answer the accompanying questions.
6) Truth- We listen to Sojourner Truth's "Ain't I A Woman?" and discuss the progress still needed to be made today.
I hope you enjoy this unit as much as my students did. With a typical 50 minute class period, this unit lasts around two weeks total.