The following is a two-day (75 minute period) common core-based lesson that introduces students to the concept of civilization, specifically in Mesopotamia. This lesson contains a variety of student-centered, high engagement activities including:
• Do now map analysis with questions focusing students on the importance of rivers to civilizations.
• Secondary source reading activity introducing civilization in general and in Mesopotamia more specifically. Comparison between Mesopotamia and US is made in a graphic organizer and several questions follow. Easily adaptable to shorter or longer class discussion.
• What would you do activity concerning crime and punishment, justice and revenge – set up for Hammurabi’s code
• Primary and secondary source analysis – Hammurabi’s Code – questions that follow.
• Fill-in-the-blank notes with answer key.
• NEW: paragraph homework assignment with rubric included – students are asked to analyze the potential success or failure of Hammurabi’s Code in modern society.
This worksheet contains an engaging set of activities that students really seem to enjoy!
I also offer this worksheet in a bundle with several other ancient civilization worksheets.
Bundle #2 - Ancient Civilizations - Global/World History Common Core
This lesson can be easily modified to fit a longer or shorter class period since it was developed on a Word Document. Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have. Please follow me to receive notifications when new products are uploaded. Finally, please take a moment to rate this worksheet! Thanks!