The following is a two-day (75 minute period) common core-based lesson that introduces students to the concept of civilization, specifically in Mesopotamia. This lesson contains a variety of student-centered, high engagement activities including:
• Do now map analysis with questions focusing students on the importance of rivers to civilizations.
• Secondary source reading activity introducing civilization in general and in Mesopotamia more specifically. Comparison between Mesopotamia and US is made in a graphic organizer and several questions follow. Easily adaptable to shorter or longer class discussion.
• What would you do activity concerning crime and punishment, justice and revenge – set up for Hammurabi’s code
• Primary and secondary source analysis – Hammurabi’s Code – questions that follow.
• NEW: paragraph homework assignment with rubric included – students are asked to analyze the potential success or failure of Hammurabi’s Code in modern society.
Answer key included!
This worksheet contains an engaging set of activities that students really seem to enjoy!
I also offer this worksheet in a bundle with several other ancient civilization worksheets.
Bundle #2 - Ancient Civilizations - Global/World History Common Core
This lesson can be easily modified to fit a longer or shorter class period since it was developed on a Word Document. Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have. Please follow me to receive notifications when new products are uploaded. Finally, please take a moment to rate this worksheet! Thanks!