Also included in
- Use these back to school (BTS) activities to review classroom management, reading, writing, and grammar. Designed for the beginning of the school year, this bundle includes an icebreaker activity, a combining sentences game, task cards, memoir writing lesson, Trashketball review game, and problem-s$15.75$26.98Save $11.23
Build classroom community with these 74 writing and discussion prompts that engage students and create a positive classroom culture! Available to print or to use digitally, these writing prompts can be used as bell ringers, journals, or other activities. Perfect for back-to-school, they can also be used for learning stations or cooperative learning. Teacher instructions and suggestions for use are included.
Use "Writing to Learn" strategies in any content area class to develop relationships with students, improve social-emotional learning, and build trust. Most importantly, students will practice informative and argumentative writing while using creative and critical thinking. Because they can be printed or used online, they are useful for in-person, hybrid, and/or online learning.
A mixture of whimsical, serious, practical, and fun, a small sample of the 70 questions include the following:
- If you could only take three things to a deserted island, what would they be? Why did you choose these things?
- If you could talk to your pet (or another animal) and it could understand, what would you say? Why would you say this?
- What is your favorite holiday to celebrate? What do you like about this holiday?
- What is your favorite outfit to wear? Why do you like it?
- Would you rather be a zebra or a kangaroo? Why?
- Would you rather have three arms or three legs? Why?
- How do you stay motivated to do well in school? Give specific strategies in your response.
- How do you take care of your physical, emotional, and/or mental health? Give specific strategies in your response.
- Where do you want to live when you grow up? Why in this place?
- What social media or websites do you visit the most? Why these platforms and sites?
- What's something that happened to you that has made you a stronger person? Why did it make you stronger?
- How do you think your best friend would describe you? Why these traits?
- What is the last thing that made you laugh? What was funny about it?
- If you were a ghost, who or what would you haunt? Why?
- What goes with bacon? You can't say eggs!
- You have a tutoring session for a test next week.Your tutor is from the last television show or movie you watched. Who is it?
- It’s burger night! What toppings will your burgers have? What’s the best way to eat your burger?
The resource includes a 41-page PDF and a link to 74 Google Slides.
This activity can be used with a variety of online learning platforms including Google Classroom™, MS Teams™, Schoology™, and more!
Want other activities for back-to-school? You may be interested in the following:
Meaningful and Memorable English Language Arts by © OCBeachTeacher ™
All rights reserved by author.
Limited to use by purchaser only.
Group licenses available.
Not for public display.