Modeled after the popular "Escape" games in many cities around the country, this classroom version prompts students to work together as a class to solve puzzles, connect the clues, and crack the code! This is a great activity for the first week of school to encourage teamwork and help students get to know each other and the classroom. Your students will be totally engaged in this hands-on challenge!
You will need the following tools:
- color printer
- scissors or paper cutter
- white cardstock (or printer paper)
- a dictionary, sitting in an obvious spot
- a ruler with metric (centimeters)
- a pencil sharpener somewhere in your room
- a working flashlight (if you choose to use the “red herring clues”)
- a lock with a 3 digit code that you can change to your own code (optional)
- a small locking box with key or a locking drawer or cabinet (optional)
Preparing your room for the activity is easy. You'll print and cut out the clue cards and "hide" them around your classroom. A Power Point presentation is included, so you can easily walk your students through the rules. Complete teacher instructions for setup, game play, and reset are included, as well as an answer key for all clues. A debriefing handout is included to help students reflect on the activity and apply what they've learned.
- PDF of all clue cards
- editable Word doc with blank cards to add your own clues
- 3 alternate clue cards to switch up the code between classes
- teacher instructions for set up, game play, and resetting game
- complete answer key for all clues, including hints for all clues
- printable "lock" (to use in place of a real lock, if desired)
- Power Point with student instructions, rules, and link to timer
- PDF of debriefing handout for students
Perfect for any class in grades 9-12, or advanced students in grades 7-8. Also great for first week of school, advisory / homeroom classes, clubs, or teams!
NOTE: This product has been updated to include a replacement for Clue Card #133! Teacher feedback requested a more accurate match on the sign language clues, so please use the updated clue card for this activity (now included in download). Thank you for your feedback!
If you like this Class Escape, be sure to check out the Halloween and Winter editions!