PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
When my district adopted Lucy Calkins for reading, we were excited to have the freedom to teach topics in a way that could overlap in curriculum and allow us to reach multiple subjects at once.
For our nonfiction unit, we hosted an International Festival, allowing the students to work through reading mini-lessons, but also writing, social studies, speaking & listening standards. Included in this project are the guidelines and exhibit ideas we presented to our students, as well as a sample schedule. All of them are open to interpretation and we allowed for the students to input their ideas and creativity, if they felt strongly how they wanted to represent their country. Due to the amount of time we spent on the actual festival, we felt justified in being able to assess and grade for multiple subjects through one rubric, and were happy to co-teach with other teachers for our mini-lessons and conferencing needs.
You will receive:
* guidelines for students
* exhibit ideas for students
* grading rubric (that includes multiple subjects)
* bibliography chart
* work log
* a list of possible mini-lessons (reading, writing, technology, and presentation) to include in your unit
* teaching tips (whether it is for your own classroom or for a grade level)
* pictures of what our various festivals have looked like