Middle School students create their own newspaper as a collaborative writing project.
Want to teach your students how to adopt roles and collaborate as a real journalism team? This project walks your students through the entire process, from the history of the newspaper, through assigning roles, doing layout editing, photographs and writing their own articles. Written with middle school students in mind, the instructions allow adolescents to take charge of their own tasks and try out professional journalism.
This resource includes:
- Newspaper Template in PowerPoint for easy yet advanced design elements
- Independent Student Project Guide
- Class roles graphic organizer and walk-through
- Role description and assignments for:
- Article Editors
- Layout Editors
- Comic Artists
- Graphic Designers
- History of the Newspaper article with 5 SAT Prep Questions
- Teacher Guide with tips and tricks for the classroom environment
Project Shop activities are designed with middle school students in mind. They offer integrated, exciting topics for students to learn. The Student Guides provide independence so that students can be in charge of their own learning while you are freed to manage your classroom, observe your student’s progress and interaction, provide intervention and even offer more challenges.
The Teacher Guides help you know how long a project should last, what might be necessary to prepare and gives you lesson suggestion on each topic. Everything is designed with four tenets in mind:
- Independence—greater self-efficacy through independently-driven tasks
- Meaningful Work—greater engagement through adult-like work
- Hands-on Experiences—greater understanding through integration of the hand and mind
- Wellbeing—reflection and care opportunities for the self, others, and the environment
Want to see more products? Ask questions? Be notified when new stuff comes out? Make sure to subscribe at the top and like this page!