Wondering what to do for grammar this year? How to make grammar instruction less painful and more effective?
This Classic First Sentences Mentor Sentence Grammar Bundle will answer both of those questions! You will receive 20 weeks worth of ready-to-go grammar instruction that you can implement immediately.
Using mentor sentences that are each the first sentence of a classic novel (see list below), students learn how to write great sentences, rather than just editing a bunch of boring and badly-written ones. Each week, you'll introduce a new sentence and invite students to notice what is interesting about it. In the days following, students label parts of speech, find key sentence parts, and then create their own sentences mirroring the mentor's style! Students can see how grammar directly affects real-life writing every week.
Mentor Sentence Bundle Includes:
- 20 Mentor Sentence Student Handouts -- Just copy one for each student, and you're good to go for the week! Includes both PDFs and editable Word docs for each.
- Teacher Notes for Each Sentence -- Lists the grammar concepts I teach with each sentence, a focus for a weekly mini-lesson, and what your students should spot on Day 1.
- Answer Key for Mentor Sentence Labeling -- Just in case, I've labeled each sentence with the answers I use for Day 2 and 3.
- 5 Grammar Quizzes - Give grammar quizzes periodically to check for understanding with these quick two-to-a-page quizzes.
- Grammar Quiz Answers -- Makes grading quick and easy!
- Teacher Introduction - Basic ideas behind using mentor sentences and an explanation of the daily activities.
- Abbreviation Key - A simple key for all of my grammar abbreviations. Easy-to-print PDF and editable Word doc, which you can share with students for easier labeling.
- BONUS Activity - Parts of Speech Review Foldable (Sample from my "10 Grammar Mini-Lessons with Foldables" bundle)
Year after year, this approach connects with kids, parents, and administration! These sentences are geared toward 8-12 grade students. If you're looking for sentences for other grade levels, check out my YA Lit and Middle School Favorites Mentor Sentence Grammar Bundles!
Mentor Sentences are from the following texts:
Their Eyes Were Watching God, Hurston
Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury
Life of Pi, Martel
A Confederacy of Dunces, Toole
The Sound and the Fury, Faulkner
The Red Badge of Courage, Crane
The Hobbit, Tolkein
A River Runs Through It, Maclean
The Poisonwood Bible, Kingsolver
Anna Karenina, Tolstoy
Love in the Time of Cholera, Garcia Marquez
Charlotte's Web, White
To Kill a Mockingbird, Lee
On the Road, Kerouac
The Old Man and the Sea, Hemingway
A Farewell to Arms, Hemingway
The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald
Pride and Prejudice, Austen
If you liked this resource, check out my "10 Grammar Mini-Lessons with Foldables" for accompanying hands-on activities!