The main purpose of this product is for students to take on the role of either defender or prosecutor of the main villain from one of the literary classics listed below. Using the resources supplied here they can investigate the book for textual evidence that will support claims that the character has or has not carried out any crimes or villainy and then, either on paper or in the classroom, engage in a mock trial to demonstrate their persuasive argument skills.
The works covered are;
• The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
• Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
• Sherlock Holmes – The Adventure of the Final Problem
• Oliver Twist
There several different sets of materials that can be utilized with the novels I have included. They can be used alone or in combination. These are;
1. A PDF slideshow to introduce the characters from the novels and elicit knowledge of their ‘villainy’.
2. A set of ‘Wanted Posters’ in color and black and white for the characters; The Monster, Mr. Edward Hyde, Count Dracula, Captain Nemo, Professor James Moriarty and Bill Sikes.
3. A set of ‘rap sheets’ in color and black and white containing picture and background information relating to the history and alleged crimes of the same characters.
4. The same ‘rap sheets’ without the background information.
5. Student explanation print outlining the type of information they need to find for the purposes of the lesson.
6. A student note taking print.
7. A student writing print for making either a character analysis or a persuasive essay.
8. Teacher Notes print.
These materials can be used with the actual books, targeted chapters, graded readers, or movies based on the works. As they are PDF files they can also be opened in most note taking apps on teacher and student iPads.
If you don't have access to these books, free versions of all of these can be found at the link below. They are all in the public domain and can be downloaded in a variety of formats including PDF, ePub, Kindle and others.
Other resources you might find useful include;
Murder Mystery - Video Based Interactive Detective Story
The Raven-Comic Book
The Tell Tale Heart-Comic Book
Classic Literature Villains - Textual Evidence Activities
by Paul Carr (kibishipaul)
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License