Prepare for lively class participation in this action-packed resource teaches about classical Greek Philosophy, particularly Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. It includes a summative reading, primary source excerpts, analysis and comprehension questions, vocabulary matching activity, and fun "Agora Dialogue" project. A detailed teacher answer key and lesson guide with extra optional discussion questions and activities is included (see Preview).
Students LOVE getting to delve into timeless (and fiery!) debates about whether democracy is actually a good governmental system, and who should be allowed to vote and make decisions in society.
2 page summative reading covers:
• introduction to Greek philosophy and the “western” worldview,
• Athenian historical context
• Socrates, his philosophy, the "Socratic Method," and his trial and execution
• Plato, his philosophy, his "Academy," "The Republic," and "philosopher-kings"
• Aristotle, his philosophy, his "Lyceum," "Politics", the "golden mean," and "strong, virtuous leader" ideal
• Lasting impact: Alexander the Great, Roman Republic, US Constitution, etc.
3 pages of analytical and comprehension questions based on the reading and three primary source excerpts
• “Meno’s Square” Socratic Dialogue
• Plato’s The Republic
• Aristotle’s instruction to Alexander the Great
Also includes a 1 page vocabulary-definition matching activity, summative writing prompts, and a fun project in which students create a hypothetical “Agora Dialogue” between Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.
A complete teacher answer key is included with this product. This packet can be used as a complete, Common Core aligned lesson plan in class, given for homework, or as a sub plan. It provides ideal preparation for state Global History assessments, as well as the AP World History exam.
For BIG savings, you can purchase this resource and many others in my Ancient Greece Unit Bundle: 10 Lessons and 92 Pages of Resources!
You may also be interested in the following resources:
Greek Geography: Lesson and WorksheetReligion in Ancient Greece: Lesson, PowerPoint, and ActivitiesAthens vs. Sparta: Lesson, Reading, and Debate ActivityThe Persian Wars: Reading, Worksheet, and Illustrated Timeline ActivityPath to the Peloponnesian War: Reading and Interactive Simulation