Introduce the scientific classification of living things with this engaging PowerPoint presentation. It’s richly illustrated, in graphic novel style, and narrated by a collection of characters including Linnaeus, a variety of North American animals, and by the classification groups themselves.
• A 144 Slide PowerPoint Presentation with student engagement tasks embedded.
• A student answer sheet.
• An annotated Teacher’s Guide
The objectives of this presentation are that students will:
• Understand that classification is something that all humans do innately.
• Understand that classification is important in our daily lives.
• Understand that classification groups can be represented as nested Venn diagrams.
• Understand that living things are classified for the purpose of establishing the relationships between them.
• Understand that Linnaeus’ system is flexible and allows for new groups to be added as new species are discovered.
• Know ways that people, including Aristotle, tried unsuccessfully to develop a useful system for classification of animals.
• Know who Linnaeus was, and why he developed his system.
• Know the seven classification groups, from kingdom to species.
• Know that scientific names are composed of genus and species names.
• Interpret nested Venn Diagrams.
• Add to nested Venn Diagrams to represent characteristics of given animals
This presentation makes references to North American animals, and to American holidays, foods, and sports equipment. International buyers are encouraged to view the free preview before making a
This presentation is also part of a bundle of classification resources which you can see here: Classification Bundle
See my other classification products here
Connect with me by following My Blog or by following me on Pinterest
Click on the green star near my logo to follow my TpT store and receive notifications of new product releases. You won't get annoying emails every day if you do that! :) You'll only get an email if I have just released a new product!
Did you know you can get credits to use on any purchase in any TpT store just by leaving feedback?
After you've used a product from a TpT seller, please take a minute to return to leave feedback. It's very much appreciated and it's an easy way to earn credits that save you money on your next purchase!