Products in this Bundle (13)
showing 1-5 of 13 products
This complete teaching unit on classification and taxonomy includes everything you need to teach this unit to your life science or biology students. Many of the resources are available in BOTH printable and digital formats. Resources include a 71-slide PowerPoint presentation packed with colorful and interesting photographs, teacher notes, printable and digital student notes, labs, dichotomous classification keys, classification task cards, kingdoms card sort game, homework assignments, review games, crossword, quiz, and unit test. Includes everything you need right at your fingertips for a complete unit on taxonomy and classification.
For Even Greater Savings: This complete unit bundle is included in my "Full Year Biology Curriculum Bundle."
Click the link below to view this bundle.
From the engaging PowerPoint to the final unit test, this bundle contains loads of NO PREP materials that are ready to be used with your students. Many of the resources in this bundle are available in paperless digital formats for use in Google Drive, Google Classroom, Microsoft OneDrive, or similar.
What is included in this bundle? ( Items marked with ** have both printable and digital versions.)
- Classification and Taxonomy Powerpoint with Teacher and Student Notes **
- Classification and Taxonomy Task Cards
- Kingdoms of Life Card Sort Game **
- Classification (Taxonomy) Homework and Study Guide
- Homework or Classwork: Dichotomous Classification Key to a "Crazy" Animal Kingdom **
- Homework: Classification Using a Dichotomous Key **
- Lab: The Use of Dichotomous Keys in Classification **
- Lab: Let's Learn to Use and Construct a Dichotomous Classification Key **
- Activity: Let's Build a Cladogram! **
- Classification and Taxonomy Jeopardy Review Game
- Classification and Taxonomy Quiz
- Classification Crossword Puzzle
- Test: Classification and Diversity of Life
Teacher Guide containing tips for implementing the resources, suggestions for sequencing, and alignment to NGSS standards is also included.
Editable. Printable. Digital.
Teacher Answer Key is included for each resource.
Topics covered include:
- The need for a system of classification.
- Summary of Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
- Definition of taxonomy.
- Early attempts at classification: Aristotle, misuse of common names.
- Linnaeus: Seven levels of classification, binomial nomenclature, definition of species, the rules of binomial nomenclature.
- Modern taxonomy: phylogeny, phylogenetic tree, reading a phylogenetic tree, practice questions.
- Modern taxonomy is based on: structural similarity, cellular organization, evolutionary relationships, biochemical similarities, genetic similarities, embryological similarities.
- Homologous, analogous, and vestigial structures: Definitions and examples.
- Cladistics and cladograms: Definitions, clades, out-groups, in-groups, shared characters, derived characters, and examples.
- Cladistics and cladograms: Students will look at 2 different cladograms and answer questions.
- History of the Kingdoms: 2-kingdom system, 3-kingdom system, 5-kingdom system, and the 6-kingdom system of classification.
- Three domain system of classification.
- Comparison of kingdoms in the 6-kingdom system.
- For each kingdom, students learn the characteristics, cell types, distinguishing cell structures, cellular organization, method of food-getting. Many pictures are included as examples.
- Mechanisms that serve as barriers between the species.
- The dichotomous key to classification: Students will learn how to use a dichotomous key; Students will classify the leaves of 7 trees using a dichotomous key.
When appropriate, I have included each product as an editable Word document, and I have also included each product in pdf form.
All answers are included
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well: