This unit test on Classification and Taxonomy is suitable for your biology and/or life science students in grades 7 - 12.
There are 95 items on the test, including fill in the blank, matching, critical thinking, and multiple choice. You will receive a test that is ready to be copied and passed out to your students.
This product is sold in a large, bundled unit: Classification and Taxonomy Complete Unit Plan Bundle
You will receive both an editable Word document as well as a pdf of the test. Highly editable!
Answer key is included.
Topics covered are:
• The need for a system of classification.
• Summary of Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
• Taxonomy definition.
• Early attempts at classification: Aristotle, misuse of common names.
• Linnaeus: Seven levels of classification, binomial nomenclature, definition of species, the rules of binomial nomenclature.
• Modern taxonomy: phylogeny, phylogenetic tree, reading a phylogenetic tree, practice questions.
• Homologous, analogous, and vestigial structures.
• Modern taxonomy is based on: structural similarity, cellular organization, evolutionary relationships, biochemical similarities, genetic similarities, embryological similarities.
• Cladistics and cladograms: Definitions.
• Cladistics and cladograms: Students will look at a cladogram and answer questions about it.
• History of the Kingdoms: 2-kingdom system, 3-kingdom system, 5-kingdom system, and the 6-kingdom system of classification.
• Three domain system of classification.
• Comparison of kingdoms in the 6-kingdom system.
• For each kingdom, students learn the characteristics of the kingdom. Many picture are included as examples.
• Mechanisms that serve as barriers between the species.
• The dichotomous key to classification: Students will learn how to use a dichotomous key; Students will classify the leaves of 7 trees using a dichotomous key.
This is a word format document so you can eliminate questions you don't like and add questions of your own. You will also receive a PDF file of the test.
Related Products Include:
Classification and Evolution Interactive Notebooks and Warm Ups
Classification and Taxonomy: A complete unit plan of 13 separate products
Classification Powerpoint with Teacher and Student Notes
Classification Using a Dichotomous Key
Dichotomous Classification Key to Thanksgiving Dinner
Kingdoms of Life Mix and Match Card Game
Dichotomous Classification Key to a "Crazy" Animal Kingdom
Dichotomous Key to the Genus "Smiley"
Classification and Taxonomy Jeopardy Review Game
Learning to Use and Construct a Dichotomous Classification Key
Classification and Taxonomy Task Cards
Classification Crossword Puzzle
Classification (Taxonomy) Homework or Study guide
Activity: Let's Build a Cladogram!
Lab: The Use of Dichotomous Keys in Classification
Classification and Taxonomy Quiz
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page
Amy Brown (Science Stuff)