This Classification and Taxonomy Powerpoint includes 49 slides that are packed with engaging photos, images, and graphics. The slides are colorful, informative and visually appealing. This resource also includes a set of lecture notes for the teacher (9 pages) and an outline of notes for the student (10 pages). Students fill in their outline as the lessons are being taught.
Suitable for Biology or Life Science Students in Grades 7 - 12.
I have had amazing results with this classification powerpoint. My students are more engaged and student participation has increased. The powerpoint is packed with pictures, diagrams, and color that keep the attention of the students.
Topics covered are:
• The need for a system of classification.
• Summary of Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
• Taxonomy definition.
• Early attempts at classification: Aristotle, misuse of common names.
• Linnaeus: Seven levels of classification, binomial nomenclature, definition of species, the rules of binomial nomenclature.
• Modern taxonomy: phylogeny, phylogenetic tree, reading a phylogenetic tree, practice questions.
• Homologous, analogous, and vestigial structures.
• Modern taxonomy is based on: structural similarity, cellular organization, evolutionary relationships, biochemical similarities, genetic similarities, embryological similarities.
• Cladistics and cladograms: Definitions.
• Cladistics and cladograms: Students will look at a cladogram and answer questions about it.
• History of the Kingdoms: 2-kingdom system, 3-kingdom system, 5-kingdom system, and the 6-kingdom system of classification.
• Three domain system of classification.
• Comparison of kingdoms in the 6-kingdom system.
• For each kingdom, students learn the characteristics of the kingdom. Many picture are included as examples.
• Mechanisms that serve as barriers between the species.
• The dichotomous key to classification: Students will learn how to use a dichotomous key; Students will classify the leaves of 7 trees using a dichotomous key.
This powerpoint was written with a typical high school biology I class in mind. It is also very appropriate for middle school grades, and it can easily be edited.
Related Products Include:
Classification and Taxonomy Complete Unit Plan Bundle
Classification Using a Dichotomous Key
Insect Dichotomous Key Activity
Dichotomous Key to the Genus "Smiley"
Kingdoms of Life Mix and Match Card Game
Test: Classification and Diversity of Life
Lab: The Use of Dichotomous Keys in Classification
Evolution and Classification: Warm Ups, Bell Ringers and Interactive Notebooks
Dichotomous Classification Key to a "Crazy" Animal Kingdom
Classification and Taxonomy Jeopardy Review Game
Dichotomous Classification Key to Thanksgiving Dinner
Learning to Use and Construct a Dichotomous Classification Key
Classification Crossword Puzzle
Classification (Taxonomy) Homework or Study guide
Activity: Let's Build a Cladogram!
Classification and Taxonomy Quiz
Science Skills Worksheet and PowerPoint: Comparing and Contrasting
Earth's History and the Origin of Life on Earth PowerPoint with Notes for Student and Teacher
Free Dichotomous Classification Key to Holiday Giving and Community Service
Classification and Taxonomy Task Cards
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store: Amy Brown Science
You can find me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page