Short daily quiz on The Classification Systems of Living Organisms (Classification and Taxonomy)
This quiz was written to go along with my Classification and Taxonomy PowerPoint,
but can be successfully used with your own resources on classification.
I use this as a short quiz to check to see if my students are keeping up with their studying, but it can also be used as a homework assignment or a study guide for a chapter test on classification. It consists of 45 fill in the blank questions.
Topics covered are:
• The need for a system of classification.
• Summary of Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
• Taxonomy definition.
• Early attempts at classification: Aristotle, misuse of common names.
• Linnaeus: Seven levels of classification, binomial nomenclature, definition of species, the rules of binomial nomenclature.
• Modern taxonomy: phylogeny, phylogenetic tree, reading a phylogenetic tree, practice questions.
• Homologous, analogous, and vestigial structures.
• Modern taxonomy is based on: structural similarity, cellular organization, evolutionary relationships, biochemical similarities, genetic similarities, embryological similarities.
• Cladistics and cladograms: Definitions.
• 6-kingdom system of classification.
• Three domain system of classification.
• Comparison of kingdoms in the 6-kingdom system.
The product consists of a 2 page quiz for students and a 1 page answer key for teachers. This quiz was written with a typical biology I class in mind. It can easily be edited. You will receive both a pdf file and a Word document so that you can make changes to it to suit your needs.
Related Products Include:
Classification and Taxonomy: A complete unit plan of 13 separate products
Classification and Taxonomy Task Cards
Insect Dichotomous Key Activity
Classification of Living Organisms Powerpoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Dichotomous Classification Key to Thanksgiving Dinner
Classification Using a Dichotomous Key
Test: Classification and Diversity of Life
Lab: The Use of Dichotomous Keys in Classification
Dichotomous Classification Key to a "Crazy" Animal Kingdom
Kingdoms of Life Mix and Match Card Game
Classification and Taxonomy Jeopardy Review Game
Dichotomous Key to the Genus "Smiley"
Learning to Use and Construct a Dichotomous Classification Key
Classification Crossword Puzzle
Activity: Let's Build a Cladogram!
Classification of Living Organisms Homework / Study Guide
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store: Amy Brown Science
You can find me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page