Lab activities are a great way to increase student interest, participation and assess their understanding of concepts.
In this lab activity, students apply their understanding of different types of matter by observing and classifying 9 different substances. Prior to the lab activity, students complete a flow chart that summarizes the way in which matter is classified. This flow chart is used in their lab to help support their observations and classification. Students complete a detailed observation chart followed by analysis questions to demonstrate their learning.
1) Teach a lesson on classifying matter, covering key terms required to complete the flow chart
2) Choose the appropriate flow chart version for your students. Giving them the terms already printed on the flaps makes for easier flow chart creation. The blank version requires more thinking on the classification
3) Assign students the flow chart to complete using their notes from the lesson
4) Ask students to bring their flow chart to class to use for their lab activity
5) Remind students to reference their flow chart as they make observations about the different substances and explain their classification
Please leave a rating and review if you enjoyed using this resource in your class! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Connect with my on Instagram!