Classifying Types of Elements - Activity
Atoms & Elements Unit
Students will be able to…
• Categorize elements and element descriptions as metals, nonmetals, and metalloids by determining the element’s properties and location on the Periodic Table.
• Classifying Elements Activity Tiles
• Classifying Elements Activity Chart
• Classifying Elements Activity – KEY
• Classifying Elements WS (The WS contains the same material as the activity presented in a different format.)
• Classifying Elements WS – KEY
(All items compiled in 1 PDF document. Document cannot be edited.)
Directions: Students should place each element tile under the correct category on the chart. Students will determine the category of each element tile based upon their knowledge of the properties of metals, nonmetals, and metalloids and based upon their knowledge of where each is located on the periodic table.
Ideas for Using Activity:
• Option #1: Print, laminate (optional), and cut-out 10-12 sets of “Classifying Elements Activity Tiles”. Then, place each set of tiles in a bag. Ask students to get into groups of 2-3. Give each group a set of tiles. Students can complete the activity in pairs or groups. Student can then complete the WS to record their results from the activity, or students could complete the WS for HW at a later date to provide review.
• Option #2: Students can cut-out the element tiles and glue them into the appropriate category on the chart. This is a great option for interactive notebooks, but be sure to check student’s work BEFORE they glue down the element tiles!
• Option #3: The WS is a good option if a substitute is present or for review as a HW assignment at a later date.
***This item may also be purchased as a part of the Atoms & Elements Unit – CURRICULUM BUNDLE
***Check out more Chemistry with Confidence Atoms & Elements Unit
***Check out more curriculum in the Chemistry with Confidence TeachersPayTeachers Store
***Check out the Chemistry with Confidence website