Immerse your 4th and 5th graders in a real life yearlong classroom economy where they build financial literacy by living it each day. Students will use decimal addition and subtraction skills as they earn classroom cash, spend, and save money. They will pay bills and fines, manage their checking and savings accounts, earn paychecks and really understand their choices of spending and saving. Student leaders will operate your classroom bank and mange many routine classroom tasks, leaving YOU more time for other teaching duties.
You receive all of the lessons, activities, hints and tips, classroom cash, editable checks, and worksheets I’ve created over the years using this great program. Students will learn how to write checks and fill out a check ledger. Students will make spending and saving decisions during classroom auctions. They will also earn a check guarantee card (or gold card) and receive coupons for things like having a tidy desk (you decide the incentives).
DISTANCE LEARNING NOTE: While this is not a Google Classroom product, you have permission to use this product as a digital product with your students PROVIDED YOU USE THE MATERIALS BEHIND A SECURED OR PASSWORD PROTECTED SITE and materials are NOT posted directly to the Internet for others to view.
I predict this program will become the backbone of your classroom management each year and students absolutely LOVE it! The set includes EVERYTHING you need!
These 2 products are included, making this set a GREAT VALUE!
I created this banking unit and classroom economy and have refined it over the years to motivate my 4th grade students and connect real life to learning. Your students will LOVE this project that puts them in control of their finances.
Note about editable PDFS: With editable PDFs, the formatting stays in place, and you can type right into the PDF form fields and print beautiful, real looking checks for your students. If you teach an online class or are going paperless, you can save this file for each of your students and they can practice writing checks without all the paper.
Classroom Economy Materials Included:
• A month by month plan for teaching and using a classroom economy with your students and teaching the banking unit. Learn the nuts and bolts, tips and tricks of the program. Includes Q & A for questions you might have. (PDF)
• PowerPoint teaching slideshow - use this to explain how to use deposit slips, withdrawal slips, check ledgers, and how to write check and parts of a check with filled out and blank examples you can demonstrate to students (PowerPoint)
• Classroom Banker Test (with answer keys) and tips for managing the bankers (PDF)
• Classroom Bankers Wanted Sign - to post in your classroom (PDF & Word editable)
• Check writing lessons – 5 worksheets on filling out checks and completing check ledgers with answer keys (PDF)
• Check writing & check ledger tests with answer keys – 4 versions of the test to allow for retesting to attain mastery if necessary (PDF)
• Check Guarantee Cards – 2 designs of check guarantee cards for all students and special “gold cards” for students who earn 100% on the check writing test (PDF)
• Lesson: How to fill out a check - engaging concept attainment lesson format. Students vote yes or no if the sample checks are filled out correctly. Includes 16 sample written checks. Great group problem solving activity. (PDF)
• Checkbook Checks – Editable PDF in color and BW - has 4 blank checks per page x 12 pages (enough for 32 students) ready for you (or your students) to click and type into. My bankers use this template to write checks to other students to pay for weekly homework.
• Checking Deposit Slips - with name and without name
• Savings Account Items – Savings book masters: book cover, blank transaction recording pages, deposit slips, withdrawal slips, and cash envelope sticker masters
• Classroom Cash - 6 designs of themed classroom cash – owls, bees, frogs, sports, graduates, and animals. Use the blackline editable set to create your own themed money! Bills included are $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, $500, $1000. (PDF)
• Lesson: Venn Diagram worksheet comparing checking and savings accounts (PDF)
• Classroom Rent billing slips – pre-filled out for the whole year (12 months of rent slips) plus use the Word version to edit and make your own rent slips (PDF + Word editable)
• Numbers Written in Words – 2 versions – one in manuscript and one in cursive for students to use when spelling out the amounts on their checks (PDF)
• "Hooray Your desk is Clean" earn $20" notes you can edit. You decide the incentives and print your own coupons. (Word editable)
• Homework Check-Off Grade book Page (Word editable)
• Classroom Fines Chart - for Bankers (PDF)
• Sample Fines Chart (PDF)
• Sample Fines Chart (Word so you can customize)
• SMART Board lesson to teach savings book forms (SMART Notebook - these are also in PPT slideshow format for non-SMART Board users)
• How to Add Graphics and Change Word Files (PDF)
• How to Use Editable PDFs - hint sheet for teachers (PDF)
There are 200+ pages of PDF, Word, PowerPoint and SMART Notebook files in this compressed/zipped file. Click to see the preview to see everything included!
Programs Needed: Adobe Reader (to open PDFs), MS Word (editable), MS PowerPoint, unzip program to access all files.
Click HERE TO FOLLOW ME to get advance notice of new products priced 50% off for the first 24 hours!