There are two parts to the Classroom Library System. The first is the classroom library inventory spreadsheet and the second is the classroom library checkout forms.
The colour-coded spreadsheet on Google Sheets allows you to have access to your library inventory anywhere and can easily be shared with anyone. Access can be given to students via Google Classroom to permit them to easily search for books in a variety of ways. I recommend that you share it with them to view and edit.
The spreadsheet can be searched and sorted by any of the headers by sorting from A-Z or Z-A.
The classroom library inventory spreadsheet headings are:
- Checked Out
- Picture Book
- Chapter Book
- Mentor Text
- Book Type
The spreadsheet is completely customizable, there aaare two colour options, and you can edit, resize or delete any headers, as needed.
Within the spreadsheet, there is also a separate sheet to create codes for tags, topics, subtopics, and/or genres to easily categorize books and search within those categories.
A wish list sheet is included in order to keep track of recommendations, books missing in a series, desired mentor texts, etc.
You have the choice to use a Google Form to have students check out books electronically or have students manually check out books by filling out a printed-out checkout form. Both are included in the download folder.
Google Form Checkout
- Can be shared with students via Google Classroom
- Form responses are automatically filled out in a sheet within the inventory spreadsheet so you can keep track of which books are checked out, all in the same place
- Check boxes off on this sheet by using the tick boxes once they've been placed in the classroom return bin
Manual Checkout Form
- Print out the Classroom Library Check-Out Form
- Students sign out a book by filling out their name, title, and date
- Student name and date can be inputted under the "Check Out" header on the inventory spreadsheet by the teacher (if desired)
- Information can be erased from "Check Out" column once the book is returned
An example spreadsheet is provided in the download folder to show different options of how to use this resource.
THIS RESOURCE USES GOOGLE APPS!
This resource has been created to be used with Google Drive. Upon purchase, you will receive access to a copy of the Google Drive folder.