Also included in
- Acids, Bases, and pH - Fully editable and Complete 5E Lesson. This fully-editable, no prep bundle follows the 5E model and provides step-by-step instructions on how to implement it in your classroom. Lesson Objectives: Throughout this 5E lesson, students will learn about:• The use of hydrochloric ac$15.97$30.94Save $14.97
- This resource contains 10 reading comprehension articles for high school students as well as strong middle school students. Tackle literacy and science by having your students read and answer questions from a scientific article. Each article highlights and explains key concepts for students’ underst$25.97$49.39Save $23.42
- This resource currently contains 100+ reading comprehension articles (more are added each week) for students in grades 8 and up. Tackle literacy and science by having your students read and answer questions from a scientific article. Each article highlights and explains key concepts for students’ un$325.00$550.73Save $225.73
- This chemistry package includes a complete resource set for a Chemistry unit on Atoms, Naming and Chemical Reactions. The 5 weeks of teaching material include 11 lessons, lab station activities, digital scavenger hunts, comprehension readings, as well as two quizzes and two unit tests with answer ke$36.47$72.06Save $35.59
- This senior chemistry package includes a full lesson set for a complete unit on solutions and solubility. Within the unit package, you'll find the lessons and activities I use to teach this unit in my own classroom. Each lesson includes the lesson (student and teacher versions of the presentation),$31.97$63.73Save $31.76
Cleaning up Acid Spills. This resource is suitable for high school students as well as strong middle-school students. Tackle literacy and science by having your students read and answer questions from a scientific article. Questions include knowledge (direct from the paper), thinking, connecting, application and open-ended varieties.
No prep, no formatting, no issues. Simply download, print (or upload to your class site) and you're all set.
**This resource is fully editable for your convenience.**
- What is pH
- How is an acid spill cleaned up?
- Large-scale acid cleanups
- Three Case Studies
***********This activity can also be found bundled at a significant discount in my Acids, Bases, and pH - Complete 5E Lesson Bundle. If you'd like to take a look, please CLICK HERE.
Google Classroom and Distance Learning Ready
- This resource is perfect for in-class or distance learning and integrates seamlessly with Google Classroom.
- Automatically creates a copy of the reading and puts it directly into your Google Drive with a single click.
- Purchase --> Open --> Click --> Assign to your students
- The reading also includes a Microsoft Word and PDF version.
Having all three options allow you to assign the reading to your students without worrying about formatting issues as all the work has already been done for you. It also allows you, as well as your students, to access everything no matter where you are or what kind of equipment is being used.
The Problem You Face - Not having the time to properly teach scientific literacy (disciplinary literacy) or improve your students reading comprehension and analysis skills.
This fully editable, NO PREP reading comprehension article is composed of relevant, applicable and engaging reading activities which can be used to:
• introduce your topic
• improve your students reading comprehension and scientific literacy skills
• improve your students' analysis skills
• provide an extension activity to students who move at a faster pace
• provide extra credit to students in need
• measure your students literacy skills
This resource will take your students between 50-75 minutes to complete and includes some open-ended questions. An answer key is also included for your reference.
You might also be interested in the following individual reading comprehension articles:
Earth and Space:
Ecology and the Environment:
Praise For My Reading Comprehension Resources:
"Perfect for informational text reading standards! Thanks!"
"I teach middle school science and need to include informational text in my classroom. These readings are great for independent reading for my grade level and upper-level readers. The articles address CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.1 (Citing specific textual evidence to support analysis of science and technical texts.) and CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.10 (By the end of grade 8, read and comprehend science/technical texts in the grades 6-8 text complexity band independently and proficiently.). The leveled questions allow you to subtly assign the questions to different ability students working in a group.
Topics are relevant to the students and current. Graphics draw the students into the article.
I'm going to have one printed and waiting in for my substitute folder too!
"Thanks for putting together a wonderful resource."
"I teach Special Education high school science in Maryland in a special school for children with learning disabilities/Autism. I liked the readings and I think students could relate to the topics. I know these are too high a reading level for most of my students and I would read it out loud and highlight the important information together. I would not be able to use the higher order thinking questions (which I like) with these kids. For my high students (very few of these in my school :), I really like these especially how you noted where you got the information which if they were inclined, they could go back to the original source. I like that you have scaffolded the questions and I would only be able to use these with a handful of students, but I think in a regular high school classroom (I spent many years in regular ed) these are spot on. Thank you for sharing."
Each summary is rich with age appropriate content (grades 8 and up) and is 2.5-3 pages long (13-font). Following each is a list of 8-13 questions along with the answer key, which will help guide your students understanding.
How this product will help your students:
- Improve their scientific and disciplinary literacy skills
- Improve their reading comprehension and scientific knowledge
- Give them insights into important scientific concepts
- Provide an extension activity for your faster moving/more gifted students
How this product will help you:
- Allow you to meet the NGSS, TEKS and Common Core Standards
- Provide you with a concise introduction to your topic
- Provide you with an engaging and easy to leave substitute plan which will keep your students engaged and on task
- Prove you a means of measuring your students' literacy skills
We don't spend enough time teaching scientific literacy to our students. This is either because we don't have the resources to do so effectively or we don't have the time. However, teaching our students to become scientifically literate is vital if we want them to succeed in life. We need them to know about the world they live in and about the issues they face. Even issues as simple as the common cold are misunderstood and can lead to the misuse of antibacterial drugs eventually rendering them ineffective.
It can be used as a tool in your teaching arsenal on a regular basis, an extension activity for your faster learners, left for a substitute in an emergency or planned absence or as an extra bit of information for a topic.
For free resources, useful teaching tips, and tools, please visit my blog -
If you have any questions please feel free to send me an email - firstname.lastname@example.org