Students will work in groups to close read Chapter 7 of A Mighty Long Way by Carlotta Walls LaNier. After reading the chapter, students will be assigned to a group and a question where they will be forced to go back to the chapter and close read to find supporting text-based evidence and to make inferences.
This lesson has 8 close reading question sheets and a gallery walk sheet.
• Before this lesson, students should have read Chapter 7 one time.
• Create student groups based on personality and ability before class.
• Assign each group a close reading question sheet. Students should use their A Mighty Long Way text to reread and answer the questions.
• Provide each group with a sheet of chart paper. Students should use their sheet to make a chart that represents their question.
• After students finish the chart, they will participate in a gallery walk. During the gallery walk students will read all the questions and responses. They will take notes on their gallery walk sheet.
• At the end of class, cold call students to share their findings from the gallery walk.