Close reading lesson plans based on the historical fiction picture book Coolies by Yin . Close reading is when a reader analyzes the details of a text to make interpretations and develop a deep understanding of the text. It is looking closely at how an author's ideas unfold through a text by examining the plot, vocabulary, syntax, story patterns and/or point of view through multiple re-readings of a piece of literature.
Use our close reading plans with your students to:
- Examine the layers of meaning (comprehension)
- Look for great words (language/vocabulary/diction)
- Analyze the author’s craft (the writing style & choices the author made)
- Identify the point of view the story is being told from and its impact on the text (1st, 2nd or 3rd person point of view)
- Notice the text structure and its tone (argumentative, humorous, sentimental, etc.)