This close reading activity for a passage from James Hurst's "The Scarlet Ibis" analyzes the author's use of diction, imagery, mood, and foreshadowing to explore deeper purpose and meaning.
The culminating writing activity asks students to write about foreshadowing as it relates to the author's use of diction in the provided passage.
This 10-page Microsoft Word package includes the following:
• A passage from "The Scarlet Ibis"
• Eleven guiding close read questions about the author's craft
• Exemplar answers for the guiding close read questions
• One culminating extended response question
• Lesson materials for teaching students how to present text evidence as part of an argument
• A writing exemplar for the culminating writing task
• Two rubrics for scoring