To prepare your students to read independently at higher text complexity bands with the Common Core standards, students need to be exposed to readings with complex syntax and difficult vocabulary. This will be effective in building both confidence and abilities. This close reading of "The Emperor's New Clothes", by Hans Christian Andersen, is rich in characterization and with a theme evident from text-based examples. With this activity, you will find:
* Clear instructions for use
* Suggested discussion activities for students, either during the reading or post-reading, which will heighten their engagement.
* Annotated text for the teacher, with questions and the matching standard
* Separate printable reading text for the students, with some defined vocabulary where context is lacking.
* A final writing assignment with matching standards, which can be assigned as classwork or homework.
* A 4-3-2-1 rubric, with various criteria with which to grade the writing assignment. These criteria can be blended to achieve scores that reflect elements of each.
* A short quiz with an answer key
The provided public domain text is at a Lexile level of 910, which is at the upper end of the 4-5 Grade Band. However, this reading could also be used as an independent activity or assessment with sixth graders, as it's below their scaffolded level.
You will find this step-by-step activity an effective way to build exposure to higher complexity bands, extend students' abilities to engage in in-depth discussions, as well as further students' capacity to write effectively about what they have read.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will now receive email updates about this store!