A key element of ELA instruction is teaching students how to closely read complex texts. This Close Reading Unit is designed to help students get truly involved with three informational texts: two nonfiction passages and a poem. Through 9 different close reading activities, students will go beyond a basic understanding of the texts. They’ll use annotation and critical thinking activities to interpret, connect, understand, and make judgments about the text. Each step-by-step lesson, close reading activity, and graphic organizer is designed to help students uncover layers of meaning and develop deep understanding of the nonfiction texts in this resource.
Perfect for whole class and small group instruction, this close reading unit can be taught over the course of 3-6 days depending on class times and abilities.
This Close Reading
• Close Reading Guided Notes
• 9 Close Reading Activities and Organizers
• Annotating the Text Guide
• Finding Meaning in Context Mini-Lesson
• Interactive Annotation Note Pencil Flags (4 versions for copying preferences)
• Hands-On Reading Response Activity
• Group Discussion Questions
• 3 Extremely Detailed Lesson Plans
• Nonfiction Passages - “The Cardiff Giant” and “The Slocum General Disaster”
• Poem - “Sequel to Grandfather’s Clock”
• All Instructional Keys
Check out this super fun Doodle and Do resource for Close Reading!
It’s the perfect companion to this resource!
Close Reading Doodle and Do
--- Doodle Note and Close Reading Flip Book
You might also like...
Memoir Study and Writing Unit
Poetry Analysis Unit
"The Highwayman" Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction