This Doodle and Do resource is designed to help students understand and develop critical skills for close reading.
First, students will “DOODLE” as they complete engaging doodle notes all about close reading. They’ll learn what close reading is, the purpose of each step of close reading, and ways to annotate a text.
Then, students will “DO” fun activities as they closely read the diary entries from Captain Robert Scott’s doomed expedition to the South Pole. As students complete the fun close reading “missions” they’ll read the text multiple times. Students will progress from identifying key details to investigating the text’s structure to integrating their knowledge and ideas as they analyze the text. Students will record their analysis of the text in an interactive flip book. Also, they’ll work collaboratively for most of the missions as they develop background information for the text, participate in group discussions about the diary entries, annotate the text, and analyze the reading.
The doodle notes and engaging flip book missions make learning about close reading super engaging and fun! This resource will take 2-3 days to complete.
Skills developed with this resource:
• Build knowledge of and practice the critical steps for close reading
• Read a text thoughtfully and critically
• Identify significant details in order to develop a deep, precise understanding of the text
• Analyze the text’s form and meaning
• Investigate what the text says explicitly and implicitly
• Work collaboratively and imaginatively
About Doodle Notes:
• Students will color, doodle, and/or embellish the note pages as they learn about close reading.
• Doodle notes create a connection between the right and left hemisphere of the brain. This leads to an increase in learning, focus, and retention. The doodles on the note pages help students to connect images with information and significantly increases their ability to remember what they have learned.
• There are two versions of doodle notes provided in this resource. One has all the information filled in. The other version has blanks where students can fill in guided notes.
• Just choose the version of guided notes that you would like students to complete in class.
About the “DO” Activities:
• After students learn about Close Reading, they’ll have a chance to showcase their skills as they complete an interactive flip book based on the historic diary entries from Captain Robert Scott’s expedition to the South Pole.
• Students will work through four close reading “missions” for the passage. Each mission requires students to closely read the text and interpret the diary entries more deeply. Materials are provided to create “mission” envelopes and tasks for the four different close reading activities.
This Doodle and Do Resource includes:
• Detailed Resource Overview (for teacher)
• Close Reading Doodle Notes – Lesson Plan
• Close Reading Flip Books and Missions – Lesson Plans (4 pages)
• Close Reading Doodle Notes – 2 versions – guided notes and filled in
• Close Reading Mission Cards – Labels – 2 versions (for top secret envelopes – optional)
• Close Reading Mission Directions Cards – 4
• Background Information Cards – 4
• 3 Excerpts from Captain Scott’s Diary
• 10 Small Group Discussion Question Cards
• Close Reading Flip Book – 5 pages – Background, Basic Understanding, Interpretations, Analysis
• Answer Keys – Flip Book and Doodle Notes
Other Doodle and Do Resources…
Doodle and Do Reading Skills bundle!
- Making Inferences, Finding the Main Idea, Fact & Opinion, Sequencing, and Summarizing
5 Nonfiction Text Structure Mini-Units
- Problem/Solution, Compare and Contrast, Descriptive, Chronological Order, and Cause and Effect
How to Study for a Test
Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
Writing Responses with Text-Based Evidence
Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
Poet and Poem Study
- Maya Angelou
You may also like:
Poetry Analysis Unit
- 5 poems and 20 analysis tasks
Poetry Writing Unit
- 11-Day Poetry Study and Writing Unit
101 Writing Prompts
- Students choose which creative prompt they would like to respond to.
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Brain Waves Instruction