This constructed response worksheet can be used for assessment with any piece of fiction text, including: short stories, chapters or sections of stories/novels, etc.
It encourages high level thinking and touches on MANY of the Common Core State Standards, all in one place!
Be sure to MODEL high level answers to each question when teaching each skill.
COVERS THE FOLLOWING SKILLS:
1) identifying the SUB-GENRE of the text
2) making text CONNECTIONS (text to self, text to world, or text to text)
3) identifying methods and examples of CHARACTERIZATION
4) identifying examples of LITERARY DEVICES
5) identifying the MOOD of the story and how the mood is developed
6) identifying the THEME of the story and how it is developed
*NOTE: Please see my listings for resources for teaching mood/tone and theme.