This 33 page set of lessons focuses on presenting and practicing the 3 Phases of Close Reading to students in a fun and engaging format.
Close Reading is a comprehension strategy used to engage students with challenging text to create deep understanding. This is meant to mirror the rigor and thought process we see on standardized assessments.
Your download will include:
- Whole Group Lesson Plans (6 pages)
- Roar - Katy Perry lyrics and link to Kidz Bop music video
- Confident - Demi Lovato lyrics and link to Kidz Bop music video
- 3 Phases of Close Reading handout
- Close Reading Codes anchor chart template
- 3 Phases of Questions idea sheet for each set of lyrics
- Small Group Guided and Independent practice lesson plans (5 pages)
- Taylor Swift nonfiction text excerpt
- Taylor Swift 3 phases question ideas for teacher and table questions
- Michael Jackson nonfiction text excerpt
- Michael Jackson 3 phases question ideas for teacher and table questions
- what my Close Reading Tool Box looks like
These Close Reading lessons are centered around using pop culture to engage students. Lyrics are used to introduce the process of Close Reading and high interest nonfiction text is used for guided and independent practice lessons. Lesson Plans include detailed directions and ideas for what to say each step of the way, as well as handouts for students, question ideas for the teacher, and visuals of what various components look like. I had great success using this with my 3rd graders!