Set of five reading workshop lessons surrounding the book Brave Girl by Michelle Markel. This is an informational picture book that ties right into Social Studies standards! All five lessons have a lesson plan (opening, mini-lesson, work time and closing) designed for close reading. If you start at lesson 1 and work through to lesson 5, students will have a deep understanding of the text. Each lesson and rereading of the text dives deeper to help students strengthen their ability to close read a text.
The five lesson topics:
1. Get the Gist (RI.5.1 and RI.5.10)
2. Vocabulary and Context Clues (RI.5.4 and RL.5.4a)
3. Main Ideas and Key Details (RI.5.2)
4. Author’s Purpose with Evidence (RI.5.8)
5. Language and Word Choice (RL.5.5a and b) with Constructed Response
Each lesson also includes a graphic organizer to support learning, and the final constructed response comes with a rubric to guide assessment. You can also buy each lesson separately. Enjoy!