**See the preview for one of the passages**
Challenge and excite your students with connecting reading text with visual text and visual devices - making connections between multiple sources. This pack includes reading passages, using maps, and gathering information from videos to answer the question: How do athletes overcome obstacles?
In this pack there are 5 reading passages on the topic of: How do athletes overcome obstacles? The passages cover a wide range of reading abilities (Lexile 410-820) so you can use with your whole class during reading group time.
These passages are perfect for close reading because they are short, they are challenging texts, questions require text evidence, and text and graphic features are included to further understanding.
For each sports hero there is:
* A Teaching Notes page
* 3 passages in different formats (so you can pick what best fits the needs of your students)
* A map for extending understanding (and to work on using visual devices to gather information)
* A video link to gather additional information
* A graphic organizer to organize information from all the sources
* An answer key of possible answers for the graphic organizer
Since your whole class is reading on the same topic, each reading group becomes an “expert group” for each athlete. At the end of the week, each group can present their findings. A graphic organizer is included for your whole class to organize the information from all groups. This is a wonderful tool to compare/contrast, draw conclusions, and summarize information. This can be a great way to have groups share through a jigsaw/expert group structure. It allows students to learn information through an additional form: listening to others.