This free resource includes a dinosaur themed close reading passage, with specific ELA standards for Kindergarten and 1st grade covered in the comprehension activities. The activities are great for getting students to dig deeper while using these close reading passages. Students will have the opportunity to dig deeper and show true comprehension of each close reading passage through completion of the graphic organizers, by providing specific evidence from the text.
This freebie is a great resource to use during any time of year to incorporate Close Reading into your Kindergarten or 1st Grade classroom. A lesson plan, dinosaur themed passage, and graphic organizers, are all included to use for your Close Reading lessons.
There is 1 dinosaur close reading passage. The passage Is written at a level that should be challenging for students to read on their own so instead you can read the passage to your students and complete the close reading lessons together.
Everything that is included:
- 1 close reading passage
- lesson plan for the passage (including 3 readings)
- teacher format of each passage (full color)
- sample coded text passage for teacher reference, during second read
- student copy of each passage (b&w)
- 2 graphic organizers for the passage, to use for comprehension activities of citing text evidence for 2nd and 3rd read (b&w)
Title and genre of the dinosaur close reading passage:
- All About Dinosaurs - nonfiction passage
When do you use these close reading passages?
- small group/guided reading groups
- whole group read alouds
How do you use these close reading passages?
- Follow the lesson plan that is provided. It explains exactly what you need to do with each close reading passage.
- Each close reading passage comes with a different focus for the 1st read, 2nd read and 3rd read of the text, digging deeper each time while addressing different Common Core Stands with evidence cited from the text.
- There are 2 formats of each passage, a colorful version for the teacher to display, and a black and white version for the student to mark up.
- Graphics organizers are included to use as comprehension pages for each passage, as well.
- Students will show their evidence from the text via the graphic organizers provided.
Who are these close reading passages for?
- Classroom teachers
- Special education teachers with comprehension goals
- Reading specialists/interventionists/reading teachers
- Classroom aides/assistants
- Parent helpers
- ESL teachers working on developing specific ELA standards
- To leave for a substitute
Why focus on Close Reading?
- Close Reading is an important piece of addressing Common Core ELA Standards.
- It requires students to truly comprehend the text by digging deeper and using specific evidence from the text to answer comprehension questions.
- Close Reading in Kindergarten and 1st Grade is similar to Shared Reading where you can read aloud a text but with a specific focus for each rereading of the text related to a Common Core Standard.
This pack of close reading passages is intended for Kindergarten and 1st Grade. But, it can also be used for a variety of grade levels, based on the current literacy abilities of students.
The goal of this pack is to assist your readers in Kindergarten and 1st Grade improve their close reading skills.
I hope you and your students love these close reading passages and activities!
Looking for more Close Reading Passages?
You may want to check out my other close reading passages packs, to use all year round.
Close Reading Passages Themes include:
- Back to School
- End of the Year
- Ocean Animals
- Community Helpers
I also have a Close Reading resource that includes all the materials you need to set up Close Reading in your Kindergarten or 1st Grade classroom- all you need to add is a book!